For the last month, the global and local situation with regards to COVID-19 has changed almost daily. It’s the new normal and it looks like we have all gotten used to it … no social events, lining up for store access, sold out bakeries and homemade coffee only. We have been skiing and running and cycling so with regards to activities and outdoor time, we cannot complain. I know there are terrible situations happening in most countries in this world but we are lucky to live in a place that has seen so few cases.
With regards to the PCT, it is mostly the situation in CA, OR and WA that determines further plans. Not wanting to disobey Shelter-in-Place orders or the PCTA’s advice, and also waiting for the National Parks to at least open their trails (even if facilities remain closed), the schedule has changed further. I will be evaluating the situation mid May and then start the PCT in Oregon towards the end of May. Most likely my start will be somewhere near Eugene/Willamette, going north from there.
This has the advantage that I can further delay hiking into the snow in the North Cascades (though I definitely anticipate some snow travel) and start in relatively modest terrain. I also do not cross any National Parks until the North Cascades Park. My hope is that by June the trails will be open – or I need to find my way around this stretch.
After tagging the Northern Terminus, I will get back to my start point and hike south, hopefully finishing at the Southern Terminus in September. Cell reception is fairly good in Southern California so the start of my fall semester might have to happen from the trail!
Let’s hope that the restrictions will be loosened enough soon so that at least trail access is possible again. Hope everybody is safe and healthy!
4 thoughts on “Another update …”
Hope your flights and train get you to the trail head with no complications. Best of luck as you start you hike on Friday. I know that you are probably more well prepared than most but we are allowed to worry about you just a little bit. So keep us posted when you are on your way down the trail. Graham and I will try to keep the Beez in line until you get back. Leslie sends her best wishes.
Thanks Mel, I appreciate it! The Beez are in great hands with you for sure!!!
Crossing fingers that you’ll be able to get started in May! Would it be possible to do a map of what you’ve written here? I could otherwise try and plot via Google Maps.
I will provide more detail once it’s reality! I will add a map then …