Not much happened today 🙂 We were surprised to wake to clear skies, when the forecast had predicted the rain to start overnight. We had prepared tents and groundsheets to deal with rain but had dry tents in the morning. It was chilly though!
To avoid getting wet, we hit the trail early in case the rain was coming. Mostly we crossed burned areas and hiked through forest. The fog was hanging low and if there were any views, we didn’t see them.
The rain started sometime during our 10 mile hike to Government Meadow, never a downpour but a slight mist and some dripping in the trees. We aimed for the cabin in the meadow to wait out the rain (supposed to stop at 1pm).
After getting there at 11am, we spent the day watching the weather (a few sun rays but mostly overcast and more mist) and decided to stay indoors for the night. Other hikers came and went, with 3 others spending the night here as well.
We tried to get some information from a group driving jeeps on a nearby road about campgrounds or roads that would allow us to avoid some of the hiking through the clearcuts but haven’t found any good solutions yet. We are spread out inside in the sleeping loft, dry and warmer than outside (the cabin’s wood stove creates too much smoke to be useful!). Let’s hope it’s dry again tomorrow.