Thanks to everyone who reached out to see how my hiking plans have been affected by COVID-19. These are definitely challenging times for all of us, and I consider myself lucky to not be affected more (work is online, no kids out of school, no other risk factors). Hope all of you are safe and positive as well. Go outside, ski and hike!!
With regards to the PCT, for now I have decided to postpone my start date (originally for April 11) for 3 weeks to May 2. This is mostly based on the recommendation of the PCTA not to hike right now and the California “stay at home” order. At that point (6 weeks from now) I will reassess and see if the hike is possible, then make new arrangements as needed.
If the situation prevents a PCT thru hike, I will use the leave from work to hike where possible in BC. Obviously it wouldn’t be the same adventure but if I can spend those 4 months outside, I will be happy. I still believe that trails are a great – isolated! – place to be right now if you’re acting responsibly towards any other hikers and any towns you use for resupply.
This too shall pass.
2 thoughts on “New plans …”
This makes good sense Biggi. Our clinic is closed until further notice but it does sound like the government is going to help out to a certain extent. So forced staycation it is. We don’t feel too hard done by either living in a place like this where you can XC ski in the am and bike in the afternoon. Such a beautiful day today, it’s difficult to feel the hardship of it all. I do feel for those who are affected though and those at the front line having to take care of them. Keeping our spirits up for them. Also hoping you get to do the modified version of your PCT trip. If not, hiking in our beautiful country is still a pretty amazing option. Virtual hug coming your way🤗
As said wish you all the best and good luck. 👍🍀🍁 Sven