Not a hiking post per se … but hiking gives me extra time to enjoy good books (my Kindle is always my luxury item but so worth the weight).
This is year #5 of my personal challenge of reading one book every two weeks on average, for a total of 26 books minimum a year.
I keep a list of book recommendations from various sources and load them onto the Kindle as I go through them. You can see from the pictures that they span a variety of topics and genres.
Always tough to choose but my favourites were:
- The Dog Stars: Surprising. Different. Really good.
- Olive Kitteridge: Watched the show first because I love Frances McDormand. Then read the book. I thought that might have been a disadvantage but I thoroughly enjoyed remembering her face and gestures as they are described in the book.
- Cilka’s Journey
- The Dutch House
- Any Haruki Murakami book!
Books I enjoyed:
- American Dirt
- Before we were yours
- Anxious People
- The Honey Bus
- The Nickel Boys
Books that were hard work:
- The Overstory: A good topic, something I care about. But very boring to read
- Girl, wash your face: I cannot recommend this. Repetitive nonsense.
- The Devil in the White City: What could be an interesting topic instead drifts into side and side’s side stories